Sunday, June 14, 2009

My First Online Dating


It was December 2008, 3 months of being separated, after 20 years of marriage. My daughter insisted in registering me in a Christian dating site. I got a lot of flirt messages and emails and that made me feel "alive" again, like somehow I was dead all this time. Then, a guy from UK contacted me sending me an email message, and I replied. I liked his profile and his pics and after that we started chatting through an instant messenger. We used to chat online for about 4 to 5 hours each day, we had 6 hours of difference in our time but that didn't seem to matter that much to me anymore. He used to BUZZ me at 3:00am every day so we could talk and I was getting very tired during the day, mostly because I was being deprived of my sleep, but like I said it didn't matter I was once again "happy". He used to call me at least once a day, and never missed a day ( I checked his cell# and it was from UK). He promised me that he would come to America as soon as he finished a contract with the company he worked for. In the middle of our chatting story, there was a father...his father... that lived in Africa and was so very happy that his son had finally found his true love...ME. After two months of chatting and getting to know each other and by that time he was already talking about marrying me and I truly believed him,( my daughter had told me: Mom, something is wrong, it doesn't work like that...slow down, please. And despite everything that she said, my heart just wouldn't allow me to think that way and so I never listened). One day he called me, I could hear it in his voice that he was extremely sad and had been crying( such a good actor) he told me that his father had died in a tragic car accident in Africa and before he came to America he needed to go to Africa because of his heritage which apparently was of millions.
Let me explain better...the guy called me every day, spending hours every day chatting by cell phone and IM and also text messages . At this point we were already "dating" for almost 3 months and the guy was talking about marriage...and I'm a Christian and I always talked to him about Jesus and how much I love to serve Him and he also talked about his church, and his friends, and every Sunday he used to tell me about the sermon of the day, etc. I would never have suspected that he wasn't telling me anything but the truth. Talk about someone being wrong?!
Suddenly, really just out of nowhere he asked me for HELP, he needed to get some documents to claim the heritage and the pay check he got from his company was not payable in Africa... when he told me that, at that very minute, I remembered my daughter's words "there's something wrong" and I finally let myself believe that everything was a lie and so I said NO! I don't have any money and you are a liar, a SCAMMER, and I can't believe that all this time you've been playing with my heart, my emotions, and all that time spent talking with me it was just so you could get a $100 dollars at the end? Unbelievable the things people will do for money these days. So I told him, forget it and leave me alone...(although on the inside I was crying like a child).
Well, after that the guy left me about 35 text messages, a lot of off line messages, emails, voice messages...telling me: Please, forgive me, I'm gonna find another way to get the money that I need, and you don't have to worry, I'm still coming to see you and I Love You so much. After a week of receiving all that bunch of messages every day, I decided answer my cell just to put an end to it all...and he said: Are you o.k. sweetie? Please, forgive me, I just want know if you are o.k. because I really care about you. I'll always love you...and all I could think of saying was: "I'll be praying for you, every day..."
Moral of the story: if you do ever decide to try the whole online dating thing, try to remember that are people out there that are not in for the love, but are in for the money, and while you might think that you're only out there as a hunter trying to hunt down that really cute date for Saturday night or maybe like me trying to find the love of your life, keep in mind that you might end it up being the prey instead!Watch out!
So...can you believe that the guy was really in love...?
In your opinion, who was the hunter and who was the prey?

No comments:

Post a Comment